Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Becoming a mom . . .

Becoming a mom is so much more than just being the mother of another person. Today was a special day to be a mom. I went to a friends house who is celebrating her son's 2nd birthday. There was 6 mo. old Katie there, 5 month old Andrew, 4 month old Brock, 2 yr. Riley, 2.2 yr. Eddie, 2.5 year Katherine/Claire, and 2.7 yr. Ace. Oh, the children! They are so cool.

Today at home I was finishing up a little project and got into my Maddy chest, Eddie looking behind me. He said, "OH!", gasped and snatched out an elephant that we bought for her early in the pregnancy. Eddie has a thing with elephants. A few weeks after Kate was born we needed to occupy him with something so we put in "Winnie the Pooh, and Heffalumps, too" which I recommend for anyone. He has never been attached to anything - ever - until the Heffalumps came around. After this movie he found in his room a little, yellow elephant a good friend gave us, and he has had that thing by his side from then on - his Lumpy. Since then he has acquired 7 other "Lumpy's", including one large, grey Mommy Lumpy and one Little Lumpy. Now he has "Maddy's" Lumpy. I told him he could play with Maddy's Lumpy today, but that we'd have to put him back in her box later.

This evening, Ben came home and helped me by watching Kate and Eddie for about 1 1/2 hrs while I went to see a brand new, 2 1/2 day old Zoe Ann Laney! Congratulations Carley and Chris! She is beautiful. All she did was bring me joy when I saw her, reminding me how sweet it was and is to have children of my own.

Tonight as I was trying to get Eddie to sleep way too late (thank you Daylight Savings Time) we read "The Little Engine That Could". Love that one. So good. I-think-I-can, I-think-I-can, I-think-I-can. I LOVE reading to children. I LOVE reading to MY children. Mommy moment. After that he collected his lot of Lumpy's and tried to go to sleep. It took many, many, many, many, many minutes, and a couple of "Mama's!" and also one, "Eddie, go back to bed". But I finally sang him to sleep tonight. I don't do that much anymore. It takes so much time to "put" both babies to bed, I have gotten Eddie to where he falls asleep on his own now. But I enjoyed looking at him tonight as he fell asleep.

When I left I contemplated taking Maddy's Lumpy.

I got up, gently lifted him off Eddie's pillow, said good night, and put him away in Maddy's box. I wonder what Eddie will say tomorrow about it. I am sure he will notice.



Those are the sweet mommy moments of the day. So many wonderful children to play with today! So many wonderful people that God loves, so many ways that He blesses us. Thank you, Lord! You amaze me, and always show me how important we are to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment